Skaneateles Conservation Area Advisory Committee meeting
Monday, February 16, 2015, 7 PM, Skaneateles Town Hall
- Dave Card, Marcellus Fire Chief, will discuss:
- Safety issues at the Conservation Area;
- The purchase of an off-road vehicle for accessing remote areas in rough terrain in places like the conservation area and Baltimore Woods;
- Naming trails and marking them with the name to give people a better idea of where they are in case of an emergency [would also help for maintenance purposes];
- Adding signs at kiosks to recommend that people carry cell phones and sign in;
- Brush burning at the conservation area [a question for Dave].
Sue Murphy, Parks Manager, Mary Sennett will discuss:
- What the Parks Department can do to help with the Fishing Derby;
- Having a Playday event at the Conservation Area;
- How would any changes in Parks Department involvement affect our budget (keeping in mind that the Highway Department will be doing brush-hogging and Phragmites removal that will also cost)?
- Other Fishing Derby plans
- Do we need tee-shirts, sponsors, etc?
- Is the fish population stable?
- What is the planned date?
- Can we get gravel to level around pavilion before the derby. Maybe Welch Allyn or other volunteers could help spread it out.
- Results of discussion with forester about Mabel Reynolds property tree harvesting.
- Results of discussions about land acquisition.
- Management plan:
- Greg McGee offered support for developing the plan;
- Two ESF students will be available to do internship to map the vegetation types;
- Any more volunteers to help with the plan?
- Any thoughts about what should go into the plan?
- Vegetation type map(s);
- Rules and regulations (since most affect the property condition);
- Get inputs from the public (users of the property or potential users);
- Ecological restoration plans (general, but emphasizing the importance, providing guidelines and suggestions, and allocating some funding if possible).
- Bird feeder discussion;
- HWA insectary discussion.
- Cornell likes our site except for the fact that it’s not near any known infestations.
- CCE reps have offered to come here to discuss the project.
- But since this is not any ideal site for them, would we prefer that they look elsewhere?
- Any problems with the meeting night? Monday still seems best according to the email responses. Do we need a March meeting?