Skaneateles Conservation Area Advisory Committee meeting agenda
Monday, November 16, 2015, 7:00 PM
- Discuss treatment of invasive plants
- swallow-wort – manual
- barberry – manual
- phragmites – chemical & mechanical
- Discuss the conservation plan to be developed by ESF students.
- Dr. Whitney Marshall will be teaching the Conservation Biology Synthesis class.
- She has taught it the past two spring semesters using a property in Costa Rica.
- They will include hands-on-the-ground experiences such as removing invasive species.
- I will be meeting with Dr. Marshall later this semester.
- Are there any particular objectives that we would like them to include?
- Discuss GPS mapping by scouts
- Yesterday (Nov. 15) Troop 66 from Marcellus, led by Eagle Scout candidate Andrew Marsh, covered all or most the trails of the conservation area.
- They used GPS units borrowed from by High School.
- The Scouts’ advisor is Jerry Kezar, who is very knowledgeable about the technology and eager to get an accurate map.
- We have found some of the boundary monuments, but have asked Janet about getting survey maps to check others.
- Does anyone think that the muskrat lodge in the fishing pond might be a problem?
- They are mostly vegetarian, so they shouldn’t bother the fish.
- They do dig tunnels, so that will need to be monitored.
- Election of officers
- Any volunteers?